Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
Flan is always a welcome sight. This recipe does require for the flans to chill overnight and that is not reflected in preparation. The actual prep time is minimal for the filling and caramel sauce. Recipe was developed for RSC Winter 2005.
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1⁄8 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 15 turkish dried apricot halves
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄3 cup powdered milk
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 tablespoons coarsely chopped cashews
- 4 tablespoons raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add apricots to a small saucepan and cover only with enough water to cover.
- Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes, taking care not to allow apricots to boil dry.
- Drain off any remaining water and pour the cooked apricots into blender jar or food processing bowl.
- Reconstitute the 1/3 cup powdered milk with 2/3 cup of water and add to blender jar.
- Pulse until apricots are chopped fine.
- Add remaining ingredients, except for cashews and raisins, to apricot mixture and pulse to mix thoroughly.
- Combine sugar, water, corn syrup and lemon juice for caramel sauce in a heavy medium saucepan over low heat, stirring only until sugar dissolves.
- When sugar has dissolved, increase the heat to medium-high and cook without stirring until syrup turns deep amber, brushing down sides of pan with a wet pastry brush and swirling pan occasionally, approximately 8 to 10 minutes.
- Pour the caramel into four 3/4 cup-ramekins or custard cups.
- Quickly tilt each ramekin to coat sides.
- Set the ramekins into a large baking dish.
- Sprinkle bottoms of ramekins with raisins, pour in custard mixture and sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon chopped cashews.
- Fill baking dish with hot water to reach half-way up sides of ramekins.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 1 hour or until set.
- Remove flans from water and place on rack to cool.
- When cool, cover and chill overnight.
- Turn out onto individual serving dishes by loosening with a small sharp knife, shake gently and lift off ramekin.