Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 mins
A quick side dish with an exotic flair!
Make and share this Apricot Couscous recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 small red onion, small dice
- 1 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth, warm
- 1⁄4 cup dried apricot, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup whole almond, toasted & coarsely chopped
- 2 scallions, green parts only
- 1⁄4 cup fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped plus leaves for garnish
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 pinch lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzle
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium saucepan add 1 TBL extra-virgin olive oil, when it is hot add the red onion, almonds and apricots and saute gently over low heat until translucent and slightly fragrant.
- Add the couscous then dump in the warm chicken broth. Stir with a fork to combine. Add lemon zest and cover. Let sit for 10 minutes, then uncover and fluff with a fork again.
- Coarsely chop the green onions, mint and cilantro; add this to the couscous. Add lemon juice, drizzle with olive oil, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss gently to combine.
This was easy and pretty good, a definite change of pace for us. I made it as written. Next time I will omit the mint (I liked the freshness it added but not everyone else did) and add more apricots possibly more nuts. The parents were over and they didn't really love it but myself, dh and two toddlers did love it!
I loved this!!!! Perfect mix of ingredients! Only thing I left out was the mint.
Loved the combo of the 2 title ingredients, & the recipe was easy enough to prepare, too! I was generous with the amount of both the dried apricots & the pinch of lemon zest (a rather large pinch)! Will certainly be making this one again! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]