Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook3 hrs 10 mins
Make a classic cake you can serve every which way -- plain, with fruit or whipped cream, toasted, or cut into squares for dipping in fondue. This one has apricot brandy and dried apricots, with cream and nuts. Delicious!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter or 1 1⁄2 cups margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup apricot brandy
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 eggs
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar, if desired
CREAM WITH FRUITS AND NUTS
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄8 cup dried apricot
- 1⁄8 cup apricot brandy (add more if needed)
- 1⁄4 cup toasted and chopped almonds
- toasted slivered almonds
- fresh mint
- Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- Soak dried apricots, quartered, in apricot brandy; set aside.
- Prepare sour cream, brown sugar and chopped almonds; set aside in the refrigerator.
- Grease bottom and sides of 12-cup fluted tube cake pan or 10" angel food(tube) cake pan with shortening; lightly flour.
- In large bowl, beat all ingredients except powdered sugar with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly.
- Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Pour into pan.
- Bake 1 hour and 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 20 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack.
- Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Meanwhile, take cream that has been in refrigerator and mix it with the apricots in apricot brandy(allow to soak during baking time).
- Return to refrigerator covered and use it when you serve the cake.