Recipe by Aunty Peach
This is the greatest recipe because you can substitute pretty much every ingredient. It's so kid friendly (eating and making!) It's cost-effective and so tasty to eat. My health conscious sister passed this recipe to me - so I know it's healthy too. How can you resist a recipe like this?
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking oats (not instant)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup of packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup of chopped dried apricot
- 1⁄3 cup slivered almonds
- 1⁄4 cup golden raisin
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup corn syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- I have substituted in bran, wheat germ, ground flax and whole wheat flour. I used chopped dates instead of apricots. My husband's allergy has led me to use coconut, cashews or peanuts instead of almonds. Currants or cranberries can be used instead of raisins. Just as long as the recipe equals out mathematically, I have never had this recipe flop on me.
- Mix dry ingredients together. Mix wet ingredients together. Stir into oat mixture until evenly combined. Press firmly into 9" square pan. Bake at 350 deg for 20 minutes (or until browned). Let cool. Cut into bars. Store in tightly covered container or wrap individually with plastic. Easy to freeze.