Recipe by Sweet Diva MJ
Adapted from Taste of Home. We love these old fashioned tasty muffins. I substitute freshly ground whole grain flour for the all-purpose. These tender muffins freeze well. **PLEASE NOTE** If you substitute store-bought wheat flour for the all-purpose, you do not need to add the additional amount of flour - just use the same amount as all-purpose.
Top Review by samanthaflo
I have made these several times now and they are fabulous. This time I ran out of muffin cases so I made a dozen muffins and a cake and both came out lovely Definately a 5* recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups applesauce
- 4 cups all-purpose flour or 5 cups freshly ground soft wheat flour or 5 cups oat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- cinnamon sugar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla; mix well.
- Stir in applesauce.
- Combine the flour, baking soda and spices;.
- stir into creamed mixture.
- Fold in nuts.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar if desired. Yield: about 2 dozen.