Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I found this recipe in Home Cooking magazine. I have not tried this recipe, but I'm posting it for safe keeping. I plan to use Splenda for the sugar.
- In a small bowl, soak the gelatin in 1/2 cup of the cooked applesauce.
- Put the remaining applesauce in a saucepan, add the granulated sugar and bring the sauce to a boil.
- After it is boiling, add the applesauce-gelatin mixture and bring the sauce back to a slow boil for 15 minutes, stirring frequently, to prevent burning.
- Stir in the walnuts, lemon and vanilla.
- Pour the mixture into a buttered 9x12-inch nonstick baking pan. The mixture should be about 3/4-inch thick.
- Let the mixture stand at room temperature at least 24 hours to set and to dry.
- When firmly set, cut into squares.
- In a bowl combine the confectioners' sugar and cornstarch.
- Roll the candy pieces in the mixture to thoroughly coat the pieces on all sides.
- Store the candy in the refrigerator in a covered container between sheets of waxed paper with more confectioners' sugar and cornstarch between each layer to prevent them sticking together.