Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
We have a giant apple tree so also lots of applesauce. This is a good way to use up some of it. Reduce the sugar if you are using sweetened applesauce. I amended this recipe from a recipe I got from Taste Of Home.
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4-1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄4 cups applesauce
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ (optional)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2-1 cup dried fruit
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add the egg and applesauce; mix well.
- Combine the flour, wheat germ, baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cloves.
- Stir into creamed mixture just until moistened.
- Fold in dried fruit and nuts.
- Pour into a greased 8 inch x 4 inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 60 to 65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
YUM! I used only 1/2 cup of sugar (will probably use less next time) and skipped on the wheat germ and nuts (my kids don't like crunchy things in their bread lol). I used raisins for the fruit as everyone loves apples and raisins but may try dried apple rings next time.