Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Applebee's Crispy Orange Chicken Bowl
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch, plus
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- oil (for frying)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- salt and pepper
- Cut chicken into 2-inch pieces and place in a large bowl. Stir in egg, salt, pepper and oil. Mix well and set aside.
- Stir cornstarch and flour together in another large bowl and mix well. Add chicken mixture to the flour mixture, stirring to coat each piece well.
- Pour enough oil to be at least 1/2-inch deep in a wok or heavy skillet and set over high heat. When it reaches 375 degrees F (hot!) carefully add chicken pieces in small batches and fry 3 to 4 minutes or until golden and crisp. Do not overcook or chicken will be tough. Remove chicken from oil with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Continue frying chicken in small batches until all are nicely browned and crisp. Set aside while you make the glaze:.
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange rind.
- 1 cup orange juice.
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce.
- Dash cayenne pepper.
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Cool the oil in the skillet slightly, then remove all but 2 tablespoons of oil and set over medium heat. Sauté garlic in oil for 1 minute (if the oil is too hot the garlic will turn bitter). Add remaining ingredients and bring to boil. Allow to boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer until sauce thickens to your liking, stirring frequently.
- Pour glaze over chicken. Serve chicken over a bed of cooked white rice. Garnish with slivered almonds and crispy noodles. Applebee's tosses the chicken and orange glaze with an array of stir-fry vegetables like broccoli, snow peas and red peppers.
I made this recipe and it turned out great the first time. All this of course, after I zested myself :-) But the orange sauce was not to heavy, not too lite, just right!!
This was a great recipe! I tasted just like the Orange Chicken at Applebee's, and it was relatively simple to make! Everyone loved it!
This is my husband's favorite from Applebee's, and he PREFERS the homemade version! I made the recipe, as is, no changes. Enjoy!