Recipe by JanuaryBride
Recipe adapted from fatfreevegan.com and placed here for safe keeping, as we are going vegan for a month in June:) This recipe got great reviews on her website; hers is a single serving salad with 7 cups of greens for a specific diet, however I have adapted it to make is more mainstream for those of us not on such a diet. It can be made spicy if you'd like (although I will choose not to).
- 1⁄2 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water (may sub apple juice for a sweeter dressing)
- 1⁄4 cup golden raisin (see note below)
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons meyer lemon juice or 1 tablespoon regular lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon spicy mustard (optional for heat and creaminess)
- 2 1⁄2 cups romaine lettuce, chopped (about 1 romaine heart)
- 1 cup Baby Spinach
- 1⁄4 cup mixed sprouts or 1⁄4 cup broccoli, slaw
- 2 tablespoons fat-free balsamic-raisin vinaigrette (or more to taste)
- 1 small apple, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1⁄4 jalapeno chile, stemmed, seeded and finely diced (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Make dressing:.
- Place water and raisins in your blender (or food processor) and let them soak for about 15 minutes until soft.
- Add remaining dressing ingredients and process on high speed until liquified. Pour into a storage container and refrigerate until thickened slightly.
- Make salad:.
- Combine the lettuce, spinach, and sprouts or broccoli slaw in a large salad bowl and toss well with balsamic dressing.
- Top with the remaining ingredients and drizzle with a little more dressing, if desired.