Recipe by Kim D.
I adopted this recipe from Recipezaar. I hope to give it a try soon and make changes if needed.
- 2 1⁄4 cups unbleached flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable shortening
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese, Sharp, Shredded
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, Firmly Packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, Ground
- 6 apples, Pared And Cored
- 1⁄4 cup butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Combine the flour and salt, mixing well, then cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in the cheese and sprinkle with water while mixing lightly with a fork, (6 to 8 Tbls of water maybe required), continue mixing until dough makes a ball.
- Divide the dough into three equal portions and roll each portion, on a lightly flour surface, into a 14 X 7-inch rectangle.
- Cut each rectangle into 2 7-inch squares.
- Combine the brown sugar and cinnamon, then fill the centers of the apples topping each apple with butter.
- Sprinkle the remaining brown sugar mixture over the pastry.
- Place an apple in each square and fold the corners to the center, pinching the dough at the top of the apple to seal.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Top with whipped cream.