Recipe by heather in Ont,
Quick, easy and elegant. Use fat-free cream cheese to avoid the extra calories. I use an apple slicer to help speed the time up. This recipe has been a hit with everyone including kids (if they like nuts). I love the combination of cream cheese and apples. I have made this dessert so many times, but keep misplacing it, so thought I had better post it. I found this in a Cooking Light magazine.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 4 teaspoons water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- cooking spray
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (8 ounce) package fat free cream cheese
- 1 large egg
- 4 cups diced peeled rome apples (about 1.5 lbs.)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 cinnamon sticks (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Prepare crust by beating the first 4 ingredients with a mixer at medium speed until well blended.
- Spoon flour into a measuring cup and level with a knife.
- Add flour to sugar mixture, beating at med. to low speed until well blended.
- Press crust into bottom and 3/4 inch up sides of a 9 inch springform pan coated with cooking spray.
- To prepare filling beat 1/4 tsp sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, cream cheese and egg with a mixer at low speed until smooth.
- Pour cream cheese mixture into prepared crust.
- Combine apple, 1/2 cup sugar, and ground cinnamon in a bowl.
- Spread apple mixture evenly over cream cheese mixture, sprinkle with nuts.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes. Reduce over temperature to 400 degrees (do not remove torte from oven)bake an additional 25 minutes or until lightly browned and filling is set.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Garnish with with cinnamon sticks if desired.
- Yield 10 servings.