Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is a recipe of a wife of a coworker. She made them for Christmas and they are wonderful. The crust is almost like a shortbread cookie and the filling creamy cheese. Easy to make and very elegant looking.
- 16 ounces butter, softened
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups flour
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 4 apples, cored, peeled and slices (tart apples work best)
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- Crust: cream butter and sugar, add vanilla and mix well.
- add flour and blend with your hand till crumbly.
- press into the bottom and 3/4 up the sides of 2 9 inch springform pans.
- Filling: beat cream cheese and sugar, add vanilla.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each egg.
- pour half into each crust.
- Topping: Mix apples cinnamon and lemon juice.
- Lay apples on top on cheese mixture in a curcular pattern, and inside and outside row.
- Top with almonds.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Cool on wire rack for 1 hour.
- Remove from pan and refrigerate over night.
Definitely a 5 star for flavor! It was super easy & so delicious. Everyone at the football party loved it. I didn't have enough sliced almonds to cover the top though, so I chopped some pecans and used those. I think either nut would be delish. I also added about an 1/8 teaspoon of fresh grated nutmeg with the cinnamon. I did have a little trouble with the incomplete recipe instructions. Since this has been made many times already and no one has mentioned it, it may just be a glitch. In any case, I would suggest adding when & where to add the sugar in the topping. When I realized the sugar was still sitting out & referred back to the recipe, I decided that it should have been tossed with the apples, cinnamon & lemon juice. I'd already layered the apples on the filling by then, so I sprinkled the sugar evenly over all the apples. I think the end result is probably pretty close to intended, but it would be helpful for anyone not familiar with making regular apple pie to have that instruction written out. Thanks for sharing this recipe, Dawna! Made & enjoyed for Spain & Portugal forum's Cooking with Apples tag game! :)
I cut the recipe in half and made it in an 8" x 12" tart pan. It was the perfect size for 8 servings. Everyone loved it. My DH thought I bought it at a local bakery. My pan has a removable bottom and the butter from the crust did make somewhat of a mess in the oven so next time I will put it on a baking sheet. I want to try this recipe with pears or plums for variety. Overall a very impressive dessert.
This is absolutely delicious! The crust really is just like a shortbread cookie. I didn't notice it to be overly sweet. This is a definite make again!!!!! So good!