Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
Thin pastry crust filled with thinly sliced apples. We Finlanders in Northern Minnesota call it Apple Potica. Once you've made it, your family will ask for it again and again.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 beaten egg
- 3 lbs apples, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- Mix flour and salt.
- Combine water, egg and oil.
- Add flour until dough forms.
- Knead 10 minutes until satiny.
- If dough is sticky add more flour.
- Stretch dough paper thin to about 45x50 inch on floured cloth.
- Mix apples with leftover ingredients.I use red delicious apples).
- Spread on pastry.
- Roll as a jelly roll,tuck ends close.
- Place on Pam sprayed cookie sheet.
- Bake 350°F for 1 hour.
- Note- This isn't as difficult to make as you may think. And once you've made it, becomes easier.
- Note- I didn't list a prep time ,because if you have a food processor for slicing and a kitchen aid for kneading.You've got it made in no time. But, if you have to slice by hand and knead by hand it will take a while longer -- But, well worth the time. Ummm Good -- .
This dough is wonderful and so much easier to make than the one I have been making for years from my Slovenian cookbook. Forgot my cookbook at my other house so was looking on the internet for a recipe. So many use fillo dough which I didn't want to do. I did add a tsp. of cider vinegar to the egg, water, and oil mixture. I think it makes it easier to stretch. Also I always let the dough sit covered with saran wrap for at least an hour in a warm place before stretching. Changed the filling a bit. I cut the sugar to one half cup and added about one half cup graham cracker crumbs. Also I add vanilla and nutmeg to the filling. Tastes wonderful!!! This will be my dough recipe from now on.
I loved this strudel. The dough was light and tasty, and the filling had just the right flavor to go with the dough. I did have a few changes, I mixed the apples (I used Paula Reds as I like a little tarter apple) with the cinnamon and sugar. Then I spread the butter on the dough and put the apple mixture on top of that. Also I didn't have bread crumbs so I used graham cracker crumbs and it tasted fine. I already plan on making this again.