Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
One of my favorites!
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup lard (plus 1 spoonful) or 1 cup shortening (plus 1 spoonful)
- 1 egg, separated
- 2⁄3 cup corn flakes, crushed
- 5 cups apples, sliced, peeled
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Sift together the flour, 1 tablespoon sugar and salt. Cut in lard with a pastry blender; put egg yolk in a measuring cup.
- Add milk enough to make 2/3 cup.
- Add to lard mixture. Mix the dough just enough to shape into a ball.
- Roll out half of dough to a 15 x 11-inch rectangle. Transfer to baking sheet; cover with cornflakes crumbs and then the apple slices.
- Mix the cinnamon and sugar; sprinkle over the apples and pinch ends together.
- Beat egg white until stiff; spread over the top.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes.
- While hot, drizzle with a glaze of 1 cup confectioners sugar and 2 tablespoons lemon juice.