Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
We go apple picking every fall and we pick LOTS of apples. This is one of my favorite uses.
- 5 medium tart apples, cored and diced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄4 cup chopped scallion, white and light green parts only
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 ounces smoked cheddar cheese, diced small
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 -4 tablespoons fat free sour cream
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- 1 head romaine lettuce, washed to serve on
- In a large bowl, toss the diced apples with the lemon juice.
- Stir in the celery, pecans, scallions, cranberries, cheese, mayo, sour cream, mustard, parsley. Mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve on beds of torn romaine lettuce or greens of choice.
Instead of mixing all the veggies and apple together in the mayonnaise, I made the dressing separately adding two drops of Liquid Smoke to the mayo. Used fresh organic veggies from our CSA box including a Red Delicious apple. Substituted manchego cheese for the smoked cheddar, too. The scallions we received last week were extra strong and "spicy" and complemented the other flavors perfectly. Served with: Whole roasted chicken and Hamburger Casserole, Potatoes Braised in Saffron Stock, and Buttery Mint Carrots. We enjoyed all the different flavors going on in this salad, *Parsley*! Reviewed for Spanish/Portuguese: Cebolletas Tag Game March 2011.
This is so tasty. I used smoked gouda cheese, for the low-fat mayonnaise, I used low calorie Miracle Whip (not the same as low-fat mayonnaise). I used only 2 tbs of fat free sour cream. I didn't use parsley. Thanks Parsley. Made for Market tag.
So fresh and delicious! I reduced it for 3 of us, and instead of serving on lettuce, I just served it in little bowls for our mid-morning snack. My apples were Fijis and fairly sweet, but I liked it that way because there was no sugar in the dressing.