Recipe by VA
Similar to Waldorf Salad without the marshmallows. I served this with our Christmas dinner and it was excellent. Recipe is from a coworker
- 8 cups tart apples, washed, cored and diced (not peeled)
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained and juice reserved
- 2 cups white seedless grapes, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1 1⁄2 cups walnuts (optional) or 1 1⁄2 cups pecan pieces (optional)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- reserved pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine juices, butter and sugar in small saucepan. Bring to a boil and stir constantly.
- Combine cornstarch and water in a cup, stir will and add to juice mixture. Keep stirring until thick.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Once cool, add mayonnaise and blend well.
- Wash and cut apples and grapes and toss with pineapple to keep apples from getting brown.
- Pour dressing and poppy seeds over fruit and mix.
- Add nuts just before serving.