southern chef in louisiana's Note:
onderful turkey for the holidays. I prefer my turkey cold rather than hot.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 13 lbs turkey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 2 granny smith apples, quartered
- 1 onion, quartered and divided
- 8 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh sage
- 1 (12 ounce) can apple juice concentrate, thawed and divided
- 1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine, melted
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1Remove giblets and neck from turkey, reserving neck. Rinse turkey with cold water; pat dry. Sprinkle outside of turkey and cavity with salt and 1 teaspoon pepper; stuff cavity with apple, half of onion, and 6 rosemary sprigs. Loosen skin from turkey breast without detaching it; insert remaining 2 rosemary sprigs and sage beneath skin. Place turkey on a rack in a roasting pan.
- 2Stir together 1 cup apple juice concentrate and butter. Attach needle to marinade injector, and fill with apple juice concentrate mixture according to directions. Inject marinade into turkey breast several times and into thighs and drumsticks.
- 3Bake at 425° for 20 minutes; reduce oven temperature to 350°, and bake 4 hours or until a meat thermometer inserted into turkey thigh registers 180°. Cover loosely with aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning, if necessary. Remove turkey from pan, reserving 1/2 cup drippings. Cool. Remove onion, apple, and rosemary from cavity, and discard; wrap turkey in plastic wrap, then aluminum foil. Chill 8 hours.
- 4Bring 2 cups water, remaining apple juice concentrate, turkey neck, and remaining half of onion to a boil in a saucepan; boil 15 minutes. Pour through a wire-mesh strainer into a measuring cup, discarding solids.
- 5Heat reserved drippings in a heavy saucepan over medium heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually add apple juice mixture, whisking constantly. Cook, whisking constantly, until thickened. Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Chill 8 hours. Serve warm with turkey and whole-berry cranberry sauce, if desired.
- 6NOTE: Turkey may be basted with apple juice concentrate mixture every 30 minutes if marinade injection isn't available.
- 7Apple-Rosemary Turkey Breast: Substitute 1 (6-pound) bone-in turkey breast for whole turkey. Bake at 350º for 1 1/2 hours; cover and bake 1 more hour or until meat thermometer registers 175º. Yield: 8 servings.
Browse Our Top Whole Turkey Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Turkey Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple-Rosemary Roasted Turkey
Serving Size: 1 (612 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 927.8
- Calories from Fat 425
- Total Fat 47.3 g
- Saturated Fat 16.0 g
- Cholesterol 354.7 mg
- Sodium 576.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 13.8 g
- Protein 101.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: