Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Easy to make, moist, and tastes great!
Make and share this Apple Pie Coffee Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice (may substitute nutmeg)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups tart apples (firm apples~peeled, cored, and thinly sliced(about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar (turbinado sugar, for sprinkling on top)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (350 degrees if using a Pyrex or dark-finish pie plate).
- Grease a 10-inch pie plate.
- In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar, beating with a wooden spoon until thick, about 1 minute.
- Add the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg, and salt.
- Beat vigorously until the batter has a crumbly consistency, about 1 minute.
- Fold in the apples and mix until the apples are evenly coated and the batter becomes moist and smooth.
- There will be lots of apples, held together by a relatively stiff batter.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth into an even layer with a metal spatula.
- Sprinkle the top evenly with the sugar.
- Bake on the center rakc of the oven 30 to 35 minutes, until the center is firm when gently pressed.
- A cake tester inserted into the center should come out clean, the top and bottom of the cake should be deep brown, and the apples should be tender when pierced with a knife.
- Remove from the oven and cool at least 1 hour in the pan on a folded tea towel.
- Serve warm or room temperature, cut in wedges from the pie pan.