Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
Celebrate the local harvest of pears and apples and make this appealing dessert. Serve warm with ice cream or frozen yogurt.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 3 tablespoons pecans, toasted, chopped
- 2 fresh apples
- 1 firm but ripe pear
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Grease bottom and sides of 9-inch square cake pan. Add butter and melt in a 350F oven.
- Stir in brown sugar and spread evenly in pan; sprinkle with pecans.
- Peel, core and thinly slice apples and pear, slicing pear horizontally; toss together and arrange evenly over sugar mixture.
- CAKE: In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and salt.
- Add butter, egg, buttermilk and vanilla.
- With electric mixer, beat on low speed until moistened; beat at medium speed for 1 minute, scraping sides of bowl.
- Spoon over fruit and spread evenly. Bake in a 350F oven for about 45 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Let cool on rack for 20 mnutes.
- Run knife around edge of cake; carefully invert onto a plate, replacing any bits that may stick to pan. Serve warm.