Recipe by pansies
Tea loaves are among my favourite things to bake. This is one in my to try file so I can't comment yet on how it works. Using the peel of the apple and orange in this would boost the fibre content some.
- 2 large unpeeled baking apples, cored and quartered
- 1 large orange, unpeeled, quartered
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup orange juice
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In blender or food processor, process apples, oranges and raisins until finely chopped, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition; beat until light and fluffy. Beat in extract.
- Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with orange juice. Stir in fruit mixture and nuts.
- Pour into 3 greased 8" X 4" loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.