Recipe by Susiecat too
This comes from a 1963 cookbook published by a local chapter of B'nai B'rith Women. This is a divine sweet kugel, worthy of making through the year and not just at Passover.
Top Review by ladypit
This was very nice, though very different from what I typically consider to be kugel. I used splenda instead of sugar and regular raisins instead of goldens. I much preferred this hot to cold, when I generally prefer traditional kugels cold.
- 4 large apples
- 1⁄2 cup matzo meal
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
Directions See How It's Made
- Grate apples into fine shreds.
- Beat egg yolks with sugar until light in color. Add lemon juice and apples and matzo meal. Mix in raisins.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and dry, fold into apple mixture.
- Pour into greased 1 1/2 quart casserole dish (8- or 9-inch square).
- Bake 350 F for 40 minutes.