Apples-on-top coffee cake. Easy, from-scratch home cookin' - and a childhood memory from my grandmother's recipe file. Make it with your kids & enjoy the aroma of cinnamon while it bakes!
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Lightly grease and flour a cake pan: 7"x11" (you can substitute an 8" or 9" square cake pan if needed).
- Pare and core the apples and slice them thinly (about 1/4" to 1/2" thick). Mix the cinnamon and sugar and set aside.
- For the cake batter:.
- Cream the 3/4 cup of sugar, the shortening, and egg together until fluffy. Gradually add the milk.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and baking soda together and stir into the first mixture.
- Spread the batter in the prepared cake pan.
- Arrange the apples on top of the batter in rows, overlapping slightly. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar over the apples.
- Bake @ 375 for 35 to 40 minutes.
I haven't baked much, but this recipe was so easy! And the basic ingredients meant that I didn't have to run to the grocery store to make it. It looked beautiful and tasted great. The only adjustment I made was not sprinkling all of the sugar mixture over the top. This will definitely be on the menu for our Christmas brunch this year.
Made for An a apple a day photo event. Pantry ingredients and it has a lovely presentation look. Definitely a keeper. Thanks Gammy.