Recipe by Gammy#3
Apples-on-top coffee cake. Easy, from-scratch home cookin' - and a childhood memory from my grandmother's recipe file. Make it with your kids & enjoy the aroma of cinnamon while it bakes!
For the Cake
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup soft shortening (Crisco, etc.)
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 -3 apples
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Lightly grease and flour a cake pan: 7"x11" (you can substitute an 8" or 9" square cake pan if needed).
- Pare and core the apples and slice them thinly (about 1/4" to 1/2" thick). Mix the cinnamon and sugar and set aside.
- For the cake batter:.
- Cream the 3/4 cup of sugar, the shortening, and egg together until fluffy. Gradually add the milk.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and baking soda together and stir into the first mixture.
- Spread the batter in the prepared cake pan.
- Arrange the apples on top of the batter in rows, overlapping slightly. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar over the apples.
- Bake @ 375 for 35 to 40 minutes.