Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This sounds different!
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3⁄4 cup diced mild green chili
- 1 1⁄2 cups granny smith apples, peeled cored and thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, sugar, half and half, vanilla and salt. Whisk in flour. Set aside.
- Place butter in a 9"x13" baking pan and place it in the heated oven until melted. Tilt the pan so that the butter coats the bottom and sides.
- Spread the green chiles evenly over the bottom of the pan.
- Layer the apple slices over the chiles.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon over the apples.
- Pour the custard mixture over the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until puffy, golden brown, and firm in the center.
- Serve while still warm.
i'm not quite sure how to rate this recipe. the directions are excellent, cooking time is right on. when i tasted this warm there were distict flavors- tart apples, hot chiles, sweet custard. i refrigerated it overnight and tasted again- the flavors had blended alot. i think i'd like this dish much more without the chiles, somehow to me, they threw off the rest of the dish