Gourmet. Feb 1990.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons finally chopped crystallized ginger
- 2 tablespoons currants or 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored, and sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon double-acting baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, as an accompaniment
- 1Onto an 8-inch round cake pan pour the butter, swirling the pan, and sprinkle it with brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of the ginger, and the currants.
- 2In a small bowl toss the apple slices with the lemon juice and arrange them evenly over the currants.
- 3Into another small bowl sift together the flour, the baking powder, the salt, and the cinnamon. In a bowl with an electric mixer beat the eggs with the granulated sugar and the vanilla for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the mixture is thick and pale and forms a ribbon when the beaters are lifted.
- 4Fold in the flour mixture gently but thoroughly, pour the batter over the apple slices, and bake the cake in the middle of a preheated 400°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the tester comes out clean.
- 5Run a sharp knife around the edge of the pan, invert the cake onto a serving plate, and serve it warm with the whipped cream, sprinkled with the additional ginger.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Ginger Upside-Down Cake
Serving Size: 1 (57 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 236.0
- Calories from Fat 85
- Total Fat 9.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 90.8 mg
- Sodium 166.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 26.0 g
- Protein 3.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: