Recipe by Redneck Epicurean
This is really really good. I love apples so much! They're so versatile and the different apples give each dish such unique flavor. This one is so easy to throw in the oven and makes a beautiful presentation for dessert. Serve with a really good vanilla ice cream and you've got some really good eatin!
Top Review by mandabears
this was incredible, i made it with an entemann's pound cake, not a sara lee frozen one and took it to work for my birthday. i got a tiny slice and was told to make 2 of them next year. the end result does not taste like a sum of the ingredients or the effort. it was beyond description an excellent delicious cake, i used granny smith apples which are my favorites, they don't bake up into a pile of mush and went well with the sweetnes of the cake.
- 1 frozen pound cake, thawed
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 medium granny smith apples
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Cut pound cake into 16 slices using serrated knife. Cover bottom of 9 x 13 baking pan with cake slices.
- In 2 quart bowl combine cream cheese and sugar. Whisk in sour cream, egg and vanilla until well blended ; spread evenly over cake slices.
- Peel, core and slice apples. Cut slices crosswise in half; layer apples evenly over cream cheese mixture.
- In 1 quart bowl, mix crumb topping ingredients until crumbly; sprinkle evenly over apples.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until apples are tender and crumb topping is golden. Serve warm with ice cream or alone.