Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This could be breakfast or dessert! From Ladies Home Journal.
Make and share this Apple Cream Cheese-Stuffed French Toast recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 5 baking apples, about 2 1/4 pounds (peeled, cored and cut into 1/8- to 1/4-inch thick slices)
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 loaf brioche bread or 1 loaf soft French bread, cut into eight 3/4-inch thick slices
- 1⁄2 cup chopped toasted pecans, plus more for garnish
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In medium bowl, stir together cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, 1/2 t cinnamon and the ginger until combined well; set aside.
- In large bowl, toss together apples, granulated sugar and 1 t cinnamon.
- In a large nonstick skillet, melt 4 T butter over high heat.
- Add apple mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until just softened, about 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- In a 13-by-9-inch shallow dish, whisk together milk, eggs, and remaining 1/2 t cinnamon; set aside.
- Spread a heaping 1/4 cup cream-cheese mixture onto each of 4 bread slices.
- Top each with 2 T nuts and 6-8 apple slices.
- Cover with remaining 4 bread slices to make sandwiches.
- Soak 2 sandwiches at a time in milk-egg mixture 5 minutes per side.
- Add maple syrup to remaining apples in skillet and stir to combine.
- Heat a griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 T oil and 1 T butter to pan.
- Add 2 sandwiches and cook, turning once, until golden brown, 6-8 minutes.
- Repeat with remaining 1 T oil, 1 T butter and the sandwiches.
- Cut sandwiches in half and serve immediately topped with apples in syrup.
- Garnish with toasted nuts, if desired.
I agree with another commenter: I was scared this recipe was going to be too sweet, but it actually wasn't that sweet at all. The cream cheese filling was sooo good!
excellent!! i cut it down to 2 servings and it worked fine. this is one of my new favorites!
Just wonderful. I cut the recipe in half for just two of us but other than that didn't change a thing. I thought it might be to sweet but it wasn't. Will be making this again.