This could be breakfast or dessert! From Ladies Home Journal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 5 baking apples, about 2 1/4 pounds (peeled, cored and cut into 1/8- to 1/4-inch thick slices)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 loaf brioche bread or 1 loaf soft French bread, cut into eight 3/4-inch thick slices
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1In medium bowl, stir together cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, 1/2 t cinnamon and the ginger until combined well; set aside.
- 2In large bowl, toss together apples, granulated sugar and 1 t cinnamon.
- 3In a large nonstick skillet, melt 4 T butter over high heat.
- 4Add apple mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until just softened, about 8 minutes.
- 5Remove from heat.
- 6In a 13-by-9-inch shallow dish, whisk together milk, eggs, and remaining 1/2 t cinnamon; set aside.
- 7Spread a heaping 1/4 cup cream-cheese mixture onto each of 4 bread slices.
- 8Top each with 2 T nuts and 6-8 apple slices.
- 9Cover with remaining 4 bread slices to make sandwiches.
- 10Soak 2 sandwiches at a time in milk-egg mixture 5 minutes per side.
- 11Add maple syrup to remaining apples in skillet and stir to combine.
- 12Heat a griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- 13Add 1 T oil and 1 T butter to pan.
- 14Add 2 sandwiches and cook, turning once, until golden brown, 6-8 minutes.
- 15Repeat with remaining 1 T oil, 1 T butter and the sandwiches.
- 16Cut sandwiches in half and serve immediately topped with apples in syrup.
- 17Garnish with toasted nuts, if desired.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Cream Cheese-Stuffed French Toast
Serving Size: 1 (389 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 875.3
- Calories from Fat 293
- Total Fat 32.5 g
- Saturated Fat 13.8 g
- Cholesterol 150.1 mg
- Sodium 801.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 128.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 52.4 g
- Protein 21.8 g