My love of cranberries led to me to adopted this recipe. I think that it is the perfect fall pie with the crisp tartness of the berries shining about the sweetness of the apples. Original poster's comments: "Found this in the Sunday paper in the coupon section and it's become a huge hit. I'm not usually a fan of cranberries, but I like the flavor of this pie! I hope you like it, too!"
- 1 (9 inch) pie crusts, unbaked
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 5 -6 cups apples, thinly sliced peeled (about 4 medium)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- Prepare pie crust in 9" pie pan.
- In large bowl, combine all filling ingredients but the fruit and mix well.
- Add fruit, mix, and spoon into crust.
- In small bowl, combine all topping ingredients and mix with fork or pastry blender until crumbly.
- Sprinkle over filling.
- Bake at 425F for 35-45 minutes or until apples are tender and topping is golden brown.
- Cover edge of crust with foil after 15 minutes of baking to prevent excessive browning.