1/2 Photos of Apple Cornbread
A different twist on corn bread, this is sweet and very moist. It's been a favorite with hubby and the kids around here for years. If you dice the apples very finely, they almost disappear into the batter; leave them larger for chunks of fruity flavor. This is also good with cinnamon mixed into the batter (I usually do that more for a breakfast/brunch than dinner). Originally submitted by Nancy Kirkland in a church cookbook from Maryland.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix dry ingredients; set aside.
- 2In another bowl, combine milk, egg, and shortening (you may want to warm the milk slightly to keep the shortening from clumping back up, but not too much or you'll cook the egg).
- 3Add cornmeal mixture to wet ingredients.
- 4Add apple and stir gently; batter will be very thick.
- 5Pour into greased 9x9" pan and bake at 425 for 20-25 minutes.
- 6(To make sure it cooks through in the middle, since it is a heavier-than-usual cornbread batter, you may want to check about 20 min-- if the center still seems uncooked, cover with foil to prevent overbrowning and increase cook time as needed).
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Cornbread
Serving Size: 1 (861 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 215.2
- Calories from Fat 70
- Total Fat 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 24.4 mg
- Sodium 405.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 9.6 g
- Protein 4.1 g