Upside-Down Sausage-Apple Cornbread
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 lb pork sausage link
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 4 small apples, peeled cored, and sliced into eighths
- 1 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup milk
- Grease bottom and sides of a 8" or 9" square baking pan.
- Brown the sausages in a medium skillet over moderately high heat, rotating them until browned and cooked through.
- Remove the sausage and discard all but 2 tablespoons of the drippings.
- Add butter and brown sugar to the pan.
- Heat, stirring until sugar is melted.
- Add apples and saute them over moderate heat, turning occasionally, until soft (about 10 min).
- Arrange sausages in rows across the prepared pan.
- Insert the apple slices, round side down, between the sausages, wedging them in tightly.
- Pour over juices from the skillet (the pan can be covered and refrigerated overnight at this point, if desired).
- Bring to room temperature before proceeding.
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- To make cornbread, stir together the flour, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Add the egg, melted butter and milk.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Pour the batter over the sausage and apples, smoothing the top to cover well.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until cake tester inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven.
- Immediately invert onto a serving dish.
- Cut into squares and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was absolutely fabulous!! I made it SLIGHTLY different from the recipe, but used it as a base. I used jiffy cornbread mix (2 boxes) and prepared as directed for the topping. I also didnt brown the sausage before i added the apples. The sausage I used was turkey smoked sausage. It was really really REALLY good! Even my pickiest eater ate everything on her plate and that is REALLY saying something!!!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hello Everyone After a couple of years of using many, many recipes off this wonderful web-site, I finally decided to sign on. I am a retired widow living in the St. Petersburg area of Florida. I grew up in Minnesota and lived 30 years in the Boston area before moving to Florida 17 years ago. I was a commercial real estate broker. After my husband passed away I switched gears and became a cruise agent (it was a tough job, but somebody has to do it-LOL). I really enjoyed the traveling and meeting many new people. I have 3 children and 6 grandchildren and I am very fortunate that they live in this area and I get to see them often. My favorite pastimes are reading, walking (usually with my dog), and cooking. My pet peeve is crabby people!