Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Found this in Mom's recipe collection.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar (divided)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 8 cups apples, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons tapioca
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- In bowl mix flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in margarine until crumbly.
- In another bowl, lightly beat eggs and vanilla.
- Add to crumb mixture.
- With fork, gently mix in milk to moisten.
- Stir until dough forms or ball. Press 1/2 dough into greased cake pan.
- Chill remaining dough.
- Prepare apples and toss with tapioca, cinnamon and remaining sugar. Place over dough in pan.
- Or lightly floured surface roll chilled dough to fit top of pan.
- Place over apples.
- Brush with milk.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle on top.
- Bake at 350°F for 45-50 minutes until apples are tender and crust is golden.