Prep 5 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is a really easy and tasty dessert recipe. It's great served warm, fresh from the oven, or even cold, with vanilla ice cream. It's lighter and lower in calories than a pie, but just as satisfying!
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk (I use skim)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups apples, cored,thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 tablespoon butter
- cinnamon (vary according to your taste, I use 1/2 tsp)
- Melt butter (or margarine) in a 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Set aside to cool.
- Use only as much butter as you need to cover the bottom of the pan.
- In a bowl, stir together flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
- Mix in milk and vanilla.
- The batter might seem impossibly thick at first, but it thins out into pourable consistency with persistent stirring.
- You will not need to add any extra milk or water.
- Pour batter over melted butter and sprinkle with half of the cinnamon.
- DO NOT MIX OR STIR.
- Spoon the sliced apples over the batter and sprinkle the rest of the cinnamon.
- Again, DO NOT MIX OR STIR.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 55 minutes.
YUMMY! Lovely, easy, tasty and too good!! This was ready in my oven in 27 minutes. It was really tasty and a true delight!
I scaled the recipe to serve 4 and followed the recipe to a T. However, the result was not good. After baking for 55 minutes, the bottom/side had formed a hard crust that was almost impossible cut through, while at the same time the centre of the dough was wet and soggy. I won't be making this again.
It was a big disappointment and it flopped. I did not MIX OR STIR. I would never make it again.