Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Love oatmeal, but not gluten? This has the warmth and nostalgia of apple cinnamon oatmeal and is a wonderful way to prepare this nutritious “grain”. A yummy, nutritious way to start the day, and even the kids will love it!
- 1⁄3 cup quinoa, well rinsed
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup chopped almonds or 1⁄4 cup cashews
- 2 -3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon soy margarine
- 1 -2 tablespoon maple syrup (optional)
- Rinse Quinoa well to ensure your dish doesn’t have a bitter taste.
- In a small sauce pan, bring water and Quinoa to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer (uncovered) for 10-15 minutes (or until water is absorbed). You will know that the quinoa is done when all the grains have turned from white to transparent, and the spiral-like germ has separated.
- In a separate sauce pan, while Quinoa is cooking, melt soy margarine, then add raisins, nuts, cinnamon (and syrup, if desired) and simmer until raisins are plumped.
- When Quinoa is fully cooked, add fruit and nut mixture. Serve immediately.
I had my first quinoa during my chef asst days and really enjoyed the nutty and flavorful taste. I wanted to make a nutritious breakfast that's a little different and came to this recipe and glad I did. It is very good use of quinoa. I substituted a few items since I did not have almonds, soy margarine, raisins or granny smith. I used fuji apple, regular butter, walnuts and dried cranberries and the result was great. I added additional 3 T water and extra 10 minutes more at simmer after adding the apples. Thank you for posting this tasty recipe.
I have made this for breakfast many times now, and the last time I made a triple batch to warm up later in the week. It reheats nicely and I add the almonds when serving to maintain their crunch. To suit my personal taste and what I had on hand, I reduced the cinnamon to 1 tsp per batch, used crasins and dried apricots in place of the raisins, and honey in place of the syrup. Very tasty! Thanks very much for sharing.
Yummy. I didn't have an apple so I used banana but I know the apple would have been better. I used Sunmaid raisins, whole almonds, sweet butter (unsalted), I did add a bit of sea salt to the cooking quinoa, no optional maple syrup. I would like to make this again with the apple insha Allah.