Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Homestyle Hint: I like to use a tart apple, such as Granny Smith, for this cake. Yummy!
- 236.59 ml whole wheat flour
- 236.59 ml unbleached flour or 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 314.66 ml sugar
- 9.85 ml baking soda
- 9.85 ml ground cinnamon
- 2.46 ml ground cloves
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 59.14 ml unsweetened applesauce
- 118.29 ml 2% buttermilk
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 354.88 ml carrots, shredded (about 2 medium)
- 1 apple, peeled and shredded
- 226.79 g light cream cheese, softened
- 226.79 g fat free cream cheese, softened
- 44.37 ml light butter, softened
- 354.88 ml confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 7.39 ml vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly coat a 13" x 9" baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, unbleached or all-purpose flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and cloves.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer set on high speed, beat the eggs and egg whites for 1 minute, or until foamy.
- Beat in the applesauce, buttermilk, and vanilla extract until blended.
- Gradually beat in the flour mixture.
- Stir in the carrots, and apple.
- Scrape into the prepared pan and smooth the surface.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the cake begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Cool completely in the pan on a rack.
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer set on medium speed, beat the light cream cheese, fat-free cream cheese, and butter for 2-3 minutes, or until smooth and fluffy. Gradually beat in the confectioner's sugar.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Use immediately or cover and refrigerate for several hours.
- Let the frosting return to room temperature and whisk again to lighten it before using.
- When completely cool, spread the cake with the frosting, swirling it for a decorative appearance. Garnish with the walnuts, if using.