Recipe by Kikimony
Very good! Been years but I will make soon! Prep time is estimated for soaking and icing prep!
Top Review by PanNan
This is really a winner. The cake is wonderfully moist. I made it exactly as written. It's not a typical apple cake with cinnamon and spice. Rather, it's the perfect compliment to the delicious icing - a buttery coconut/pecan icing. YUMM! The guys went back for seconds. I'll be making this again.
- 4 apples, peeled and grated
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 3⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄8 cup butter
Directions See How It's Made
- For cake: Pour sugar over apples and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Beat oil and eggs; add sugar and apples.
- Sift soda, salt and flour together and add to the mixture.
- Pour into ungreased 13x9 pan; bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
- For icing: mix sugar, milk, coconut, pecans and vanilla in saucepan.
- Cook to thread stage; test with spoon until the mixture drips and leaves threads or strings hanging (approx. 230 degrees).
- When this is reached, remove from heat and add butter; spread on cake.