Recipe by Carrie A
Moist delicious cake. It really reminds me of a breakfast danish or something. Cake just doesn't do it justice! You can make it as the recipe follows or you can make it sugar free by using Splenda, or even fat free by replacing the oil with apple sauce and eggs with eggbeaters. It really is delicious. You can also use other fruit like peaches blueberries, pineapples. It is very versatile.
Top Review by Bayhill
Delicious! We really enjoyed this quick and easy apple cake. I made this as written, using walnuts but no raisins. I used Golden Delicious apples and they worked well for this recipe. The eggs were missing from the cooking instructions, so I added them to the bowl with the flour. Also, there was no baking temperature listed. I baked this at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Thank you for sharing this wonderful cake. *Made for Fall 2009 My 3 Chefs *
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup non-fat vanilla yogurt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 apples
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts (optional)
- butter, to grease pan
Directions See How It's Made
- in a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, 1 tablespoon cinnamon, yogurt, oil, 1 1/2 cup sugar.
- Mix till smooth with a hand mixer.
- Add raisins and walnuts at this time if you choose.
- Mix again to combine.
- Butter 9 inch pan.
- Pour 3/4 of batter into the pan.
- Peel and core apple.
- Slice in very thin pieces.
- Layer apples on top of batter in the pan to cover entire cake.
- Sprinkle half cup of sugar and 1 tablespoon of cinnamon on top of apples.
- Pour remaining amount of batter on top of apples.
- Bake for 40 mins to an hour. Cooking time depends on the stove. Just keep checking. Remember the cake is very moist. It almost doesn't look done.
- This cake is good served warm, but even better at room temperature hours after it is cooked (next day). Enjoy!