Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
Looking for a new twist on ordinary gingerbread? After baking, flip this gingerbread over and it will have a topping of buttery, sugar glazed apples soaked in brandy. I clipped this recipe years ago from a McCall's magazine.
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 lbs cooking apples, peeled,halved,and thinly sliced (such as Granny Smith)
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1⁄4 cup apple brandy or 1⁄4 cup other apple liqueur or 1⁄4 cup apple cider
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, unsifted
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup canola oil
- 3⁄4 cup molasses
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 2 large eggs
- nonstick cooking spray
- Line a 9x13" baking pan with foil, leaving extra long ends of foil extending over the short sides of the pans (to use handles for removing the cake later on).
- Spray the foil all over with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large, nonsick skillet, melt butter on medium-high heat.
- Add apple slices and saute until almost tender, about 8 minutes, stirring often.
- Add 1/4 cup of the sugar to the pan and stir; saute another 4 minutes or until apples are glazed.
- Remove pan from heat and set onto a hot pad.
- Carefully pour in the brandy.
- Return pan to the heat and cook about 2 minutes or until the liquid has almost evaporated.
- Spread apples evenly in prepared pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, using a mixer on low, beat remaining 3/4 cup sugar, the flour, all the spices (ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves), the baking powder, baking soda, and salt to blend.
- Add remaining ingredients (oil,molasses,boiling water, eggs) and beat on medium speed 3 minutes or until smooth.
- Pour this batter over the apples, spreading the batter with a rubber spatula to cover evenly.
- Bake 40 minutes or until a toothpick tests clean.
- Cool in the pan for 30 minutes or until just slightly warm (If you don't let it cool it will fall apart).
- Invert pan onto a cutting board and carefully pull off foil using the extra handles of foil.
- Cut into 12 squares and serve warm or chilled.
I have never made a "from scratch" gingerbread before. This cake is densely rich in flavor, yet light and moist in texture. The fresh apple, butter, brandy topping transforms gingerbread to a whole new level of enjoyment! The only thing I changed, was to substitute Macintosh apples for the Granny Smiths and cooked it for 35 minutes. I served this warm, topped with vanilla ice cream. The prep time is under estimated, it takes 30 minutes to prep and cook the apples but the end result is worth it.
I'm giving this four stars for the cake. It's an absolutely delicious cake. I used Mutsu apples. Everyone that tried the cake said they couldn't taste the apples or the brandy so I really didn't think all the work preparing them was worth it. I'm tempted to slice the apples, put them in the bottom of the cake pan, combine the brandy and sugar, pour over the cake then pour the batter over the raw apples and bake.