1 hr 25 mins
Looking for a new twist on ordinary gingerbread? After baking, flip this gingerbread over and it will have a topping of buttery, sugar glazed apples soaked in brandy. I clipped this recipe years ago from a McCall's magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 lbs cooking apples, peeled,halved,and thinly sliced (such as Granny Smith)
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup apple brandy or 1/4 cup other apple liqueur or 1/4 cup apple cider
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, unsifted
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 2 large eggs
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1Line a 9x13" baking pan with foil, leaving extra long ends of foil extending over the short sides of the pans (to use handles for removing the cake later on).
- 2Spray the foil all over with nonstick cooking spray.
- 3In a large, nonsick skillet, melt butter on medium-high heat.
- 4Add apple slices and saute until almost tender, about 8 minutes, stirring often.
- 5Add 1/4 cup of the sugar to the pan and stir; saute another 4 minutes or until apples are glazed.
- 6Remove pan from heat and set onto a hot pad.
- 7Carefully pour in the brandy.
- 8Return pan to the heat and cook about 2 minutes or until the liquid has almost evaporated.
- 9Spread apples evenly in prepared pan.
- 10Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 11In a large bowl, using a mixer on low, beat remaining 3/4 cup sugar, the flour, all the spices (ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves), the baking powder, baking soda, and salt to blend.
- 12Add remaining ingredients (oil,molasses,boiling water, eggs) and beat on medium speed 3 minutes or until smooth.
- 13Pour this batter over the apples, spreading the batter with a rubber spatula to cover evenly.
- 14Bake 40 minutes or until a toothpick tests clean.
- 15Cool in the pan for 30 minutes or until just slightly warm (If you don't let it cool it will fall apart).
- 16Invert pan onto a cutting board and carefully pull off foil using the extra handles of foil.
- 17Cut into 12 squares and serve warm or chilled.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Brandy Gingerbread Snack Cake
Serving Size: 1 (180 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 419.8
- Calories from Fat 168
- Total Fat 18.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 45.4 mg
- Sodium 201.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 36.3 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: