Recipe by lauralie41
A thick soup that is full of bacon and sautéed apple flavors. When ready to serve top with mozzarella cheese and have a wonderful crusty bread along side. Adapted from another cooking website's email newsletter.
Top Review by Mia in Germany
This was such a delicious soup! Quickly put together and so, so tasty. We both loved it, and I definitely am going to make it again! Thanks for sharing :)<br/>Made for For your Consideration.
- 5 slices bacon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 white onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can pinto beans
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium apple, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large, deep skillet place bacon and cook over medium high heat until evenly browned. Drain bacon well, coarsely chop and set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium flame, heat olive oil and saute onion and garlic 3 to 5 minutes, or until tender. Stir in beef stock, pinto beans, tomatoes, celery, and bay leaf. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat add sliced apple and red wine, cook and stir until soft.
- Mix bacon, apple, and remaining red wine from saucepan into the stock mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Continue to simmer, stirring occasionally until well blended. Serve immediately.