Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This chutney has so much flavor. Great served over pancakes, waffles or even spread on a savory scone. Serving is a guess as I have never really measured how much the recipe makes.
- 3⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups smoked bacon (diced)
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider
- 3 tart green apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- In a large saucepan, combine the vinegar, cider and brown sugar.
- Cook over high heat until bubbly, stir the first 30 seconds to dissolve sugar.
- Turn down heat to medium and continue to cook for 15 minutes. In a small skillet, cook the diced bacon over medium heat until crisp. Drain bacon. Add bacon, apples and orange juice to the vinegar mixture.
- Bring back to a boil and cook for 30 minutes more. Serve warm over waffles or pancakes, or scones.
This recipe caught my eye right away as an unusual & intriguing kind of chutney! VERY, VERY FLAVORFUL, & our first taste of it (other than testing while cooking) was over several pieces of nicely toasted, dense, whole wheat bread! Loved the combo of flavors! Thanks for sharing this great recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed in the current Comfort Cafe as part of my Chutney? ~ Mango, Yes, & More! theme]