Prep 40 mins
Cook 45 mins
I had to hunt to find a jelly that used enough mint to make a dent in my big healthy bush-I found this one by Aussie Jackie French, on the internet. She gave no prep or cooking times, but I found it took about 20 mins to prep, 20 mins to cook the apples and about 45 minutes to get to the jellied stage.
- Don't peel or core the apples. Cut into eighths.
- Boil them with the water and lemon juice till soft. Strain off the juice. (this took about 20 mins and is included in the prep time).
- Add 500grams of sugar for every 600mls liquid. I ended up with 1 litre of liquid so used 840g sugar. It tastes good.
- Add the mint, chillis and sugar, stir till the sugar dissolves, boil till jellied. I began testing mine after about 20 mins, but found it took around 45 minutes I tested by dropping a small amount on a plate and popping it in the freezer for a couple of minutes. I cooked until it had a jellied consistency when I ran my finger through it.
- Bottle and seal while hot.
- Note: The mint can be strained out after about ten minutes cooking, but I rather like left in, as long as it is finely chopped.