Recipe by Jewelies
Typical New Zealand recipe. Apple from a tin is fine. A loaf tin for this is 25cm x 11cm.
Top Review by **Mandy**
This make a large batch so I got 2 small loaves & 6 muffins, I made as directed but cut the ginger powder back to 1 tsp & added 1 tsp cinnamon as I'm not a huge ginger lover and with the crystallized ginger I thought it may be too overpowering for my tastes. The end result was a lovely tasty, moist cake that the family enjoyed. Best eaten on the day of making or frozen.
- 1 cup dried dates, chopped
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 380 g apples (from a tin)
- 2 tablespoons crystallized ginger, chopped finely
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1⁄4 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups self raising flour, sifted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- In a bowl put the dates, baking soda, apple, crystallised ginger, ground ginger and boiling water, stir well.
- In another bowl mix the butter and sugar together and then beat in the egg. Gradually blend in the date mixture and sifted flour.
- Spoon into a greased and floured loaf tin. Bake for 1 hour or until the loaf is cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes before transferring to a cake rack to cool.