Recipe by Keri and Rory
A flavorful and easy to make quiche that has instructions for vegetarians and vegans as well as those who eat eggs, meat and cheese. I take these to potlucks and they always are well received.
Top Review by georgie
this recipe came out awesome! i used soy cheese and soy milk too & sometimes these quiches don't come out well when using soy-based product. the tip about lining the pie crust shell was so smart -- and worked very well! thanks! i'll surely be making this one a lot!
- 1 ready-made pie crust (I like to use Krusteaz Pie Crust Mix for a quick and tasty crust)
- 3 beaten eggs (, or egg replacer)
- 1 1⁄2 cups nonfat milk (or soy milk)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup zucchini or 3⁄4 cup mushrooms or 3⁄4 cup spinach
- 1 1⁄2 cups your favorite, shredded cheese (, we like swiss or you can use vegan cheese substitute)
- 1 tablespoon flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Line pricked pastry shell with foil and bake 5 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake 5 additional minutes.
- Remove from oven and reduce temperature to 325 degrees.
- In a bowl, stir together eggs, milk, onion, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Add vegetables or meat and stir.
- Toss shredded cheese with flour and add to egg mixture, stirring well.
- Pour into pastry shell and bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- You might want to add foil around the edges to prevent over browning.