Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A flavorful and easy to make quiche that has instructions for vegetarians and vegans as well as those who eat eggs, meat and cheese. I take these to potlucks and they always are well received.
- 1 ready-made pie crust (I like to use Krusteaz Pie Crust Mix for a quick and tasty crust)
- 3 beaten eggs (, or egg replacer)
- 1 1⁄2 cups nonfat milk (or soy milk)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup zucchini or 3⁄4 cup mushrooms or 3⁄4 cup spinach
- 1 1⁄2 cups your favorite, shredded cheese (, we like swiss or you can use vegan cheese substitute)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Line pricked pastry shell with foil and bake 5 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake 5 additional minutes.
- Remove from oven and reduce temperature to 325 degrees.
- In a bowl, stir together eggs, milk, onion, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Add vegetables or meat and stir.
- Toss shredded cheese with flour and add to egg mixture, stirring well.
- Pour into pastry shell and bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- You might want to add foil around the edges to prevent over browning.
this recipe came out awesome! i used soy cheese and soy milk too & sometimes these quiches don't come out well when using soy-based product. the tip about lining the pie crust shell was so smart -- and worked very well! thanks! i'll surely be making this one a lot!
Great, simple recipe! I altered it a bit I made mine with chicken, mushroom, onion, spinach, and sundried tomatoes. Since using this recipe, I realized I can add more filling and just use 1 cup milk, 1 cup cheese, and 2 eggs (lower calorie and more filling = yummy). This recipe taught me that a quiche is simply 1 egg to every 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup cheese then add spices and filling.
This is yummy! I made it with fresh zucchini and mushrooms and garnished with green onion. I made two...I served the first one straight from the oven and it was "mushy". The second one sat for 15-20 minutes before serving and it had "solidified" and had a much better texture. Thanks for a yummy and easy quiche.