Recipe by SilentCricket
On the southern Caribbean island of Bonaire where we lived for 7 years, this popular,delicious sauce was often served with the "catch of the day," hot rice, and fried plaintains (large cooking bananas.) Follow the recipe or be creative! A wonderful compliment for any grilled meat!
- 1 green peppers or 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped (optional)
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 bouillon cube (use flavor that would compliment meat you are serving)
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients in saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat until vegetables are tender and sauce begins to thicken.
- To stretch recipe, add more tomatoes.
- Serve with chicken, fish, or any meat of your choice, with hot rice.
- Option: Add 2 tsp barbecue sauce in place of ketchup.