Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
My non-vegetarian husband is always raving about how much he loves Textured Vegetable Protein, so I wanted to develop a faux meatloaf using TVP. I heavily modified a recipe found here: http://fatfreevegan.com/Meat_subs/loaf.shtml to try to make it closer to my Mom's famous meatloaf.
- 1 cup low-sodium V8 juice (or tomato juice)
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon marmite (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Braggs liquid aminos (or soy sauce)
- 2 cups textured vegetable protein
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1⁄2 cup shredded carrot
- 1⁄4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1⁄2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed in garlic press
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Mix V8, ketchup, broth, marmite, and aminos in a medium mixing bowl. Stir in TVP. Let sit about 10 minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, mix all other ingredients in another medium or large bowl. Stir in TVP mixture.
- Pack into a 9 x 5 loaf pan. Bake 35-40 minutes or until slightly browned on top. Cool about 10 minutes before slicing. Enjoy with vegan mashed potatoes and gravy. Leftovers make great sandwiches.
This loaf was moist and held together really well for me, I'm impressed because they so often fall to bits. I had some leftover tomato sauce that I used in place of the tom juice...found I had to add a little bit more liquid to get it to hold together. Definitely on the sweeter side, which I quite liked...I imagine you could eliminate the ketchup and use something else if that was a concern. The only thing I'd do differently would be to cut down on the braggs a bit if using marmite as well...mainly because the stock I use is salted too. Thanks Prose, very good! Just wanted to add that the leftovers were fantastic! I was able to slice up and pan fry for 2 or 3 more meals - loved it and I found the sweetness mellowed. Also, this pan-release recipe worked a treat with this: Pan Release, Professional Pan Coating (Better Than Pam Spray!).
First time using TVP and I really like it!!! Too cool! Next time I will make mine into mini loaves so I don't have to try to cut it without crumbling. It was a tad too sweet for my tastes, so next time I will use zucchini or mushrooms in place of the carrots to see if that does the trick. Served with vegan mashed potatoes with mushroom gravy for a comforting meal this Sunday afternoon. Thanks Prose!