My non-vegetarian husband is always raving about how much he loves Textured Vegetable Protein, so I wanted to develop a faux meatloaf using TVP. I heavily modified a recipe found here: http://fatfreevegan.com/Meat_subs/loaf.shtml to try to make it closer to my Mom's famous meatloaf.
- 1 cup low-sodium V8 juice (or tomato juice)
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon marmite (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Braggs liquid aminos (or soy sauce)
- 2 cups textured vegetable protein
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1⁄2 cup shredded carrot
- 1⁄4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1⁄2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed in garlic press
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Mix V8, ketchup, broth, marmite, and aminos in a medium mixing bowl. Stir in TVP. Let sit about 10 minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, mix all other ingredients in another medium or large bowl. Stir in TVP mixture.
- Pack into a 9 x 5 loaf pan. Bake 35-40 minutes or until slightly browned on top. Cool about 10 minutes before slicing. Enjoy with vegan mashed potatoes and gravy. Leftovers make great sandwiches.