Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 25 mins
Recently found at "Food & Wine" Magazine, I've yet to try this cake, but it sounds great. Described as "very moist, very chocolatey, a snap to make and best baked the day before serving". Let me know if they're right. They recommended Fudgy Chocolate Frosting for icing this cake. Prep time doesn't include complete cooling time.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter and flour two 8-inch round cake pans. Line the bottoms with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar with the water. Bring to a boil over high heat and stir until the sugar dissolves; then pour into a large bowl.
- Add the chocolate and butter and let sit, stirring occasionally, until melted and slightly cooled. Stir in the vanilla.
- Beat the eggs into the chocolate mixture at medium speed until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients all at once and beat at medium speed until smooth.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans and bake for about 25 minutes, or until the top springs back when pressed lightly and a cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool the cakes in their pans for about 25 minutes, then invert onto a rack to cool completely.
- When completely cool, frost with your favorite frosting, preferably chocolate. (You will need about 3 1/2 cups of frosting.).