I was in Santa Fe for a weekend more than 10 years ago and tried to get a reservation at Mark Miller’s Coyote Café for dinner with no luck. The bar downstairs served appetizers and I had this great chili. As it happened the Sous Chef was in the bar having a Corona and I asked him if chocolate was the secret was to his GREAT chili – he said well maybe! He wouldn’t give me the recipe but this is close.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground turkey or 1 lb beef
- 1/2 lb dried black beans (or 2 small cans)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped fine
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 4 tablespoons new mexico red chili powder (Medium hot, toasted)
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin, toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon Greek oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3 cups chicken stock (more if the chili is too thick)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup chevre cheese
- 1Rinse the dry beans, cover with water and simmer till tender. Drain the water and set aside. You can also use 2 cans of black beans.
- 2Brown the onions and garlic in the olive oil. Add the meat and continue browning, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- 3In a small non-stick skillet toast the chile and cumin till fragrant – takes about 5 minutes. Do not skip this step as the toasting process brings out all the flavor of the spices.
- 4Add the toasted spices to the meat and onions. Add the oregano and 2°C of the chicken stock and all the beans. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer for about 20 minutes or until you reach the consistency you like for the chili. Start with only 2°C of the stock and gradually add to reach the consistency you like. Right before serving add the cocoa and blend well. Do not heat over a slight simmer as the chocolate will become bitter.
- 5Serve with the sour cream and Chevre that you have blended together. Make some jalapeno cornbread and you have a dynamite meal! This recipe can easily be doubled.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Annis' Black Bean Chili
Serving Size: 1 (293 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 661.9
- Calories from Fat 293
- Total Fat 32.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 112.6 mg
- Sodium 932.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.6 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 41.2 g