Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is another of my Mother's recipes and this one was made for less than 5 cents a slice (then) it is still a very reasonable recipe and very tasty - add some lemon juice to the cornstarch mixture. Don't be fooled by the simplisityof the ingredients, it is good and no fail
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 baked 9 inch pie shell
- 1⁄2 cup cream, whipped
- 1 ounce bitter dark chocolate, grated
- Mix the cornstarch& water in the top of a double boiler.
- Add boiling water stirring constantly and cook until thick& clear- 12-14 minutes, Add salt to egg whites and beat until stiff.
- Add 3 tbsp sugar& vanilla, beating until the whites are creamy.
- Pour hot cornstarch mixture over the egg whites, very slowly beating constantly Cool slightly and fill the pastry shell.
- The pie should be made at least 2 hours before serving.
- Cover the pie with whipped cream and grated chocolate (make curls if you wish) Add some nuts too is you want.
I did not know what to expect from this pie. While not being objectionable, we found this pie to be rather flavorless. The chocolate probably carried the flavor.I did have a problem with my egg whites getting stiff.