Recipe by Elmotoo
I made this up the other day when I had no idea what to make for dinner. I served it under poached eggs. My kids mentioned it would work wonderfully as a taco filling. There's probably several other uses, too! The ancho gives it a bit of heat without being overpowering.
Top Review by Rita~
I cut the ancho in half removed half the seeds and added 2 cloves garlic. The ancho was removed after cooking then skin peeled and flesh chopped and tossed back in. Garnished with a bunch of cilantro and kicked it up with pepper flakes.Served over Jeera rice. Made for Feb Sun and Spice. Thanks Bethie
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 ancho chili pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups lentils, picked over & rinsed
- 6 cups water or 6 cups vegetable stock
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil. Add the ancho pepper & swirl around in oil while it heats.
- Add chopped onion & saute until softened & slightly caramelized. Don't rush this, it will take a few minutes.
- Add lentils & water or stock. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer & cook until liquid has been absorbed & lentils are cooked. Season with salt to taste.