Amore-The Italiano Love Cake
Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 375 F degrees.
- To make the cake, combine the powdered sugar and cake flour.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on high speed, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar, vanilla extract, almond extract, and salt until well mixed and soft peaks form.
- Beat in the sugar, a little at a time, and beat until stiff but not dry.
- With a rubber spatula, fold in the dry ingredients until the flour is just incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan, shaking the pan lightly.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the top springs back when touched and is golden brown.
- Invert the pan onto a bottle or funnel and cool completely.
- To assemble, using a serrated knife, cut the cake into three layers.
- Sprinkle each layer with some of the amaretto.
- Place one layer on a serving plate.
- Spread the pistachio ice cream on the bottom layer and top with the second layer.
- Spread the chocolate ice cream on the second layer and top with the third layer.
- Freeze the cake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until set.
- Meanwhile, to make the topping, in a chilled bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the heavy cream and the remaining amaretto until it forms soft peaks.
- Spread on the top and sides of the cake.
- Return to the freezer.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, over low heat, melt the chocolate chips, stirring until smooth.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Pour the melted chocolate onto the prepared pan, spreading it 1/4 inch thick.
- Let chocolate set for 15 minutes.
- Using an oiled heart shaped cookie cutter, cut out hearts.
- Place them on top of the cake.
- Keep cake in the freezer until ready to serve.