This recipe was given to me years ago by a friend's mother along with 1 cup of starter. It's easy to keep and can be used to make a number of delicious recipes using "sourdough starter".
- Day 1: In a large glass or plastic bowl, combine 1 cup sugar, 1 cup flour, and 1 cup milk.
- Stir with a wooden spoon.
- Cover loosely with a clean cloth dish towel.
- Keep at room temperature.
- Day 2: Using a wooden spoon, stir once a day.
- Day 3: Using a wooden spoon, stir once a day.
- Day 4: Using a wooden spoon, stir once a day.
- Day 5: Add 1 cup sugar, 1 cup flour, and 1 cup milk.
- Day 6: Using a wooden spoon, stir once a day.
- Day 7: Using a wooden spoon, stir once a day.
- Day 8: Using a wooden spoon, stir once a day.
- Day 9: Using a wooden spoon, stir once a day.
- Day 10: Add 1 cup sugar, 1 cup flour and 1 cup milk.
- Remove 3 cups of mixture and give one cup to three friends.
- Save remaining starter for yourself, feeding every fifth day with 1 cup sugar, 1 cup flour and 1 cup milk.
- ~Note~Don't forget to print out the directions for your friends, so they know how to feed the starter!
Detailed & clear instructions. I have been using this recipe for over 6 years now, and it is a joy to see it on here! I would not know how to live a week without this working on my cabinet now! Please note: * this can be frozen in 1 1/4 cup measurements in ziplock bag, dated, for up to 6 mos. To use for baking, let thaw 8 hrs. To use for "starting" a new batch - let thaw and count as Day #1... Enjoy!!! ~Lady~
Thanks for posting this! We od it exactly the same way except we store the starter in a Ziploc bag (with the date clearly written on it so you don't lose track of the days), and "smoosh" the bag every day instead of stirring. You usually need to open the bag every day or so to "deflate" it, but it makes it easier to give it to others, and safer to store in your kitchen. You're wonderful, Kim! Thanks again!
Some years ago I was given this recipe by a friend from Amish community; made a cake and brought it to a board meeting. The board members raved about the cake, and I have been looking for the starter recipe for a very long time. So glad to have found yours!!! I have now made it a few times with slight variations, and enjoyed it very much. Now I will keep it in my recipe collection, and make a cake for our new neighbor across the street tomorrow. Thank you!