Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a beautiful and impressive cake--great for holidays.
- 1 1⁄2 cups almond shortbread cookies, crumbs (about 12 cookies)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 (14 ounce) package sweetened flaked coconut
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh orange curd
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut, lightly toasted (optional)
- Stir together first 3 ingredients; press mixture into bottom of a 10-inch springform pan.
- Bake at 350° for 8 minutes. Cool.
- Beat cream cheese, eggs, and 1 cup sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Stir in 14-ounce package coconut and vanilla. Pour into prepared crust.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Cover and chill 8 hours. Release sides of springform pan, and place cheesecake on serving platter or cake stand. Spread Fresh Orange Curd evenly over top of cheesecake. Sprinkle 1 cup toasted coconut around outer edge of top, if desired. Arrange Decorated Pastry Strips on sides of cheesecake, if desired. Garnish top of cake, if desired.
here's an elaboration on the orange curd: 1 cup sugar 1/4 cup cornstarch 2 cups FRESH orange juice (about 4 pounds navel oranges) 3 large eggs, lightly beaten 1/4 cup butter 1 tablespoon grated orange rind Combine sugar and cornstarch in a 3-quart saucepan; gradually whisk in fresh orange juice. Whisk in lightly beaten eggs. Bring to a boil (5 to 6 minutes) over medium heat, whisking constantly. Cook, whisking constantly, 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture reaches a pudding-like thickness. Remove from heat, and whisk in butter and grated orange rind. Cover, placing plastic wrap directly on curd, and chill 8 hours. **I tried piping my own detail onto the side of the cake but it was not sticking so I ended up just peeling the side off. The toasty edge still looked great. This was a hit over the holidays! It's slightly rich, but a definite pleaser.